Thursday, February 12, 2015

Staying Strong

This Saturday my sister's grandma, Dorothy, lost her battle with bone cancer. I got the call from my mom Wednesday  morning and started crying. I'm 11 hours away and not related by blood but the pain still hurts. Then I think about the memories how wonderful she was and what a great person she was. I thought about my 8 year old niece and how hard it had to be on her and her mom who had lived with  Dorothy. What is going through my niece's mind and how it’s affecting her. Then I thought about my oldest sister and how she was at the hospital with her for the last days of her life. It’s hard to think about and couldn't imagine the pain of going through something like that, and her two kids I can only imagine. Will they remember her at ages 6 and 3. I can remember very little from back then. I was in second grade when my oldest sister got married that's about all I remember. 
Displaying 20150210_150935.jpg

On Tuesday 2/10/2015 Dorothy was laid to rest in Tulare district cemetery. The card they handed out during the service was sprayed with her perfume. Brings back memories from when I was little. Her son and two daughters attended and he talked about how she had made him change his way of life for his entire life. My sisters had not only lost there grandmother they have lost there mother. Their mother has had health issues and their grandmother took care of them. During the funeral I turned to my niece to see her crying it was the hardest thing ever. Then I realized Dorothy treated me just like she treated my sister. That made me cry and I held my niece, she didn't cry till the service my sister told me. My dad also said that he owes her his life. My sisters are closer to normal because of her. It hard to let go, but you have to let go. Rest In Peace Grandma D.


Displaying 20150212_150417-1.jpg



2 comments:

  1. I'm at loss for words. It takes a lot to share a story like this. Dorthy sounded like a wonderful caring woman. I remember when I was young my grandfather passed away from cancer, at the time I was so young I didn't really know him, but the things I've herd my family say I know he was a very great man, and even though I didn't know him when he was alive I still appreciate and love him. I'm sure your little cousins will feel the same when they are old enough. My best wishes to you and your family. Stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm at loss for words. It takes a lot to share a story like this. Dorthy sounded like a wonderful caring woman. I remember when I was young my grandfather passed away from cancer, at the time I was so young I didn't really know him, but the things I've herd my family say I know he was a very great man, and even though I didn't know him when he was alive I still appreciate and love him. I'm sure your little cousins will feel the same when they are old enough. My best wishes to you and your family. Stay strong.

    ReplyDelete